the lotus momma

the lotus momma

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

chorizo tortas...well, kinda

I am married to a Mexican who moved to the United States as a child.  He has one of the most amazing mothers... ever (no pressure!).  Perhaps I am able to get along with my mother-in-law so well because we don't speak the same language?  I'd like to think that we'd be great friends, regardless.  The issue is, of course, is that there is no possible way that I could live up to her in my husband's eyes, whom I regularly refer to as the oldest son of a Mexican mother-- as though that description, in a nutshell, sums him up. 


I do try.  Tonight I am making chorizo tortas for dinner, which are his favorite artery-clogging  memory of home.  Of course, in our neighborhood, there are no fresh tortas, so I will make due with hamburger buns.  I am sure Whole Foods means well, but the sausage doesn't crumble quite right (maybe because the fat content is not as high, which is probably for the better).  I will add avacado, tomato and pretend that mayo is just as good as the Mexican version of sour cream his mom slathers on her sandwiches.  Even though I typically think it is rediculous, I will place a paper towel on the plate under the sandwich because it somehow makes it feel more authentic (and quite practically soaks up all the grease).  I will not pull out the extra bread like his mom does so that it is mostly just crust-filled sausage delight.  He can do this himself.  Therein lies the issue--I will try, but not that hard.  They are a really good interpretation, but the real thing is much better. 


I wonder what you do to incorporate your partner's childhood traditions into your now-shared life?

4 comments:

  1. When you get tired of my comments, just say so. :)

    Chris and I are not of different heritages, but our families are very different. I came from a huge family with my mom having 9 brothers and sisters (and with that I had more cousins than I can count) and my dad having 3 brothers...and then the stepfamilies on both sides. In my childhood, gatherings consisted of potluck dinners buffet-style and you got a paper plate and sat anywhere that was available. That was the floor for us kids. When Chris witnessed this for the first time he was quite taken aback as he comes from family in which his mother had 1 brother who never married or had children and his stepfather only had 1 brother that lived very far away. Chris also only have 1 brother. Chris' holiday dinners consisted of elaborate table decorations and place settings, glass dishes and cloth napkins. Everyone sat at the same table (even the kids!!) and everyone drank their drink out of a crystal wine glass. Very weird to me. So...I conceded and we now host Thanksgiving in our tiny little house by putting 2 big tables together and we all sit together. I had to buy place settings for 20 and more flatware and everything, but I did it because it is important to him. But he has to do the dishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats my Girl!I've watched my little girl grow older and wiser with each passing year. You are a incredible daughter, friend, wife and now- momma. Keep up the good work and can't wait to read more about my Lotus "Daughter's" life... Hugs to you all, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. danielle--keep the comments coming! I love them. You are a very good wife to get that many people around the table. I am glad that he does the dishes, though!

    ReplyDelete