Monday, February 7, 2011
trend alert: hedgehog round-up
Foxes are already the new owl. As we build our modern woodland collections, look for hedgehogs to take their place as the next style icon borrowed from the forest. Far from the sonic image we grew up with in videogames, this hedgehog is an animal (much like the owl and fox) that is sweet, quirky, and also has a little bit of edge to appeal to our increasingly prepster culture. While I personally think that the world of design will soon swing wildly to the techy (read robots) to counteract all of the nature-inspired interiors of the green movement, expect to meet a few more furry friends you forgot existed while those of us hippies hold on to this opportunity to live in make-believe tree houses that are actually english-basement apartments.
Perfectly adorable for valentine's day. Don't expect the trend to last as long as owls (which have become our generation's version of our mother's cows and our grandma's rooster) but they will certainly have their day and make yours!
1. Hedgehog family mobile by Flensted Mobiles
2. Justice for Hedgehogs by Ronald Dworkin, January 2011
3. Prickly pal plush from Anthropologie
4. DIY hedghog plushie on threadbager.com
5. Hedgehog pencil holder tutorial recently featured on ohdeedoh
6. Hedgehog earrings from Zooz Jewelry
7. Bamboo hedgehog clock from Decoylab